My husband named this dish for me. He believes ancient grains, like quinoa, should remain in the past where they originated. All ancient grains are deemed “Hipster” in his mind’s eye and that some dishes should remain “ancient” free. That’s fine – more for me! (I do, however, make him the real-deal Sloppy Joes. That recipe is a scaled down version of the one I will share – they are called “the Best Sloppy Joes“!)[grid_accordion id=”12″]
This recipe is quick, easy and a crowd pleaser!
Makes 6 servings
1lb (454g) lean ground beef
1 small red onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup cooked kidney beans, mashed
¾ cup cooked quinoa
1 cup diced tomatoes
2/3 ketchup (organic, low sugar)
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (GF)
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
6-8 gluten free soft pretzels
- Cook quinoa in small saucepan.
- Chop, measure and weigh all ingredients while quinoa cooks.
- Spray a large pot or skillet with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray).
- Add ground beef, onions, garlic, celery and carrots to skillet. Cook over medium high heat until ground beef is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Stir often. Break up any chunks of beef with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce head to medium low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon mixture beside soft pretzel bun for “Hipster Joe” or feel free to cut a pretzel bun in half and toss on some meat, cover with top half of bun, and enjoy a more “Sloppy” version!
Other ways to serve Hipster Joes: