Well, Honey and Betts, we have a few things in common: love for Alberta, food, fashion, toddler antics and life. I am happy to be featured as a guest blogger today to finally admit my weakness. Breakfast.
Hi, my name is Dallas and I’m a breakfast addict.
If you don’t know this about me, know this: breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. Furthermore, cereal is one of my all time favourite food groups. However, since adhering to a strict Paleo diet, I have had to give up my glorious, gluten free morning flakes. But fear not, I have discovered how to create a grain free “granola” recipe which definitely hits the spot. More often than not, I eat a nice bowl of this “Wild Berry Fusion” as an evening snack in addition to my morning indulgence.
I have made a great many grain free granola recipes, but I could never quite simulate that nice chunky texture that oatmeal produces. That is until my most recent success! Want to know the crunch-ifying trick? Egg white. Sweet, unsuspecting egg white! The perfect adhesive for the un-gluten-ous granola.
(Guess what? I bought all of these ingredients at Costco. The majority are also organic!)
Prep time: 10 min – Bake time: 40 minutes – Oven temperature: 300 F
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried mixed berries
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure all ingredients or set out all ingredients. (I am a stickler for measuring all ingredients prior to starting a recipe.)
- Place all nuts into a blender and blend until all nuts are roughly chopped.
- In mixing bowl, whip egg white until thick – but not stiff. (Bubbly and foamy!)
- Add the coconut oil, honey, water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the egg white/water mixture and mix well.
- Combine the roughly dry ingredients: chopped nuts, coconut and dried fruit and add to the wet mixture, and stir until all ingredients are well coated.
- Spread the granola mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Place back in oven.
- Bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Place back in oven for 10 more minutes.
- Note: Nuts can burn very easily.
- Remove granola from oven and let cool for a minimum of 10 minutes. (I let mine sit out for an hour!)
- Store in glass jars.
- Give one jar to a friend and save one for yourself!
- Enjoy your “Paleo – Wild Berry – Honey Nut – Granola – Fusion” on some coconut yogurt with chopped fruit.
- Grab a bowl and some almond milk for a quick snack.
- Add some dark chocolate chunks and make your own trail mix.