I’ve been passing off this recipe quite a lot lately. It’s one of my favourites! My mother-in-law served this to me many moons ago and I’m happy to share it.
There are not a lot of exact measurements or must-haves – play around with it! Add more lemon, more olives, more or less feta; base it on your personal taste. Use a mix of chicken thighs, chicken breast or chicken thighs. (I prefer chicken breast best!)
- 3-4 cubed chicken breasts (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- ½ – 1 cup kalmata or black olives
- 1-2 medium onions (cut into large chunks)
- ½ cup fresh lemon (~2 large, freshly squeezed lemons)
- ½ cup olive oil
- Small package cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed feta
- Fresh basil
- Fresh oregano
- Set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken in 9×13 casserole dish. Next layer the potatoes and olives. Distribute the onions evenly over top.
- Combine the oil and lemon juice together. Pour over top of the chicken mixture. Salt and pepper dish once again.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the following ingredients for the last ~15 minutes of cooking: feta, tomatoes, (generous) fresh basil and oregano leaves
- Remove from oven and serve to your ravenous guests!
- The key is to keep the lemon juice and oil in equal parts.
- If using bone in drumsticks, be sure to turn and baste the chicken so that is ends up nice and crispy!
- Total cook time varies from ~45-60 minutes