Photocredit belongs to the wonderful and talented Justine of Milton Photography
I’ve struggled with my health most of my life. Stomach aches, rashes, constant colds and flus and far too many trips to urgent care. In 2010, my health took a deep dive and I was desperate to be well. I didn’t even care if I had a diagnosis – I just wanted to be able to start living. Because my life at that point? I was a 24-year-old who was in constant pain and spent most of my days trying to survive. When I wasn’t surviving I was in bed.
I was tired of being treated “just” for my stomach when my entire body was falling apart. I was eventually referred to a chronic illness specialist and before I could even dawn her doors, all fragrances and toxic-chemicals had to be removed from my home and my skin care routine. I did it. And with the help of dedicated naturopath and doctor, I finally started to get well. By finally, I mean it was almost three year journey, of cleaning up my house, my stress, my diet and my life – but I can honestly say I feel like I’m living again!
Fast forward a few years … I was pregnant with my first daughter and I was trying to be the best pregnant woman I could be. I wore natural deodorant (that didn’t work), I smeared on a coconut oil like foundation that didn’t match my skin tone and made me break out, and I used a terrible shampoo that made my hair fee like straw.
I was happy to finally be unpregnant and let toxin-laden products back into our home. Not on my daughter of course, but on me. I was new-mom exhausted and wanted effective make up that covered up the bags under my eyes and the hormonal acne that erupted. I wanted my hair to feel soft and supple and smell like heaven. I wanted pit stains and body odour to take a back seat. So, despite thinking I was fairly “chemical’ conscious, I definitely let more unhealthy products creep into our home than I knew! It was a slippery slope my friends.
Fast forward a couple more years and my second daughter was born. And oh my. Her skin and her gut were as sensitive as they come. Fiery red bum, irritating eczema, constant spit up and violent stomach upsets – repeat. And for good measure, repeat one more time. When I looked at our environment, I knew I had to start with a clean slate in order to rule out those potentially harmful contributing factors. Laundry detergent, fragrances, diapers, my diet and my skin care products were put back under the microscope!
This is where BeautyCounter comes in. I was tired of the trade off: safe or effective? Because I knew once we were all reasonably well I’d inevitably let unsafe but performing products trickle back into our home. But with BeautyCounter, I didn’t have to choose. Their products are safe, innovative, and high performing.
Fun fact: I haven’t turned back to my old pesky, toxin-laden products!
What was originally a product pursuit, has turned into a mission passion: getting safer beauty into the hands of everyone. I took the job. I’m now an advocate, educator and influencer for stronger legislation in the skin care industry. We all deserve better. Even the medical community recognizes the harmful effects of these loosely regulated products on human health!
Why do we need stronger legislation you might ask? Look at these stats:
- In their lifetime, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer.
- A woman uses approximately 12 products a day, which can equate to over 100 different chemicals being absorbed into our bloodstream. Many of which are toxic chemicals. (Parabens, pthalates, formaldehyde, Retinyl palmitate and Retinol)
- Eighty percent of ingredients in our personal care products have never been assessed for human safety.
- Today, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer; 40 years ago, it was 1 in 20.
- Of the women diagnosed with breast cancer today, 90% do not have a mutation in the BRCA gene, the gene most commonly associated with breast cancer.
- The European Union bans/restricts nearly 1,400 toxic chemicals, while the United States bans only 11.
- There are 85,000-plus chemicals on the market, with thousands being added annually.
- There has not been a significant federal law passed governing the personal care industry in the U.S. since 1938.
It’s time I took a stand and help others clear the household of toxic chemicals and take control of their health. Who’s with me?
We deserve better. You deserve better. I deserve better.
(If you’d like to learn more about how you can make a difference and join my team, click here)