It is definitely that time of year. Almost everyone I have talked to has contracted the plague – a.k.a. the common cold. It has been the most brutal offender and most unwelcome guest for over two weeks. You think you’re back to full health one day, and the next, you’re whimpering in bed blowing your nose until the skin is raw, and coughing up a lung here and there.
For those with Littles at home, there isn’t much you can give them when it comes to coughs and congestion. As soon as I was up and running, I stocked up on natural remedies. One of which was this homemade vapour rub recipe below.
(Note: Don’t you hate when you put on your super cute apron from one of your best friend’s for your blog photo op, but then have your black baby carrier covering up its full glory? I do.)
Vapour Rub for Toddlers 12 months+ [Naked Salve+high quality essenital oils]
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 4 tablespoons organic beeswax pastilles
- 1/2 teaspoon vitamin e oil (optional)
Essential oils (for 5 ounce jar)
- 15 drops – Breathe
- 5 drops – Peppermint
- 5 drops – Eucalyptus
- On low heat, melt the coconut, olive oil and beeswax in a warm bath, stirring with a knife every few minutes until melted. The melting process will take at least 20 min, you want a slow melt.
- Let salve cool slightly.
- Add essential oils to jar.
- Pour salve into jars and mix oils and salve together with a knife. Let cool. (Plural “jars” so you can bless a friend. If you’re giving this to someone, they most likely have a kiddo with a cold!)
- Put a paper towel over the jars while cooling and wait to cover with lids until completely cooled down.
- Shelf life is approximately 4 months.
- Rub a small amount onto your toddler’s chest and back.
- Put a dab of salve on the soles of their feet and cover with a pair of socks.
Note: If using on adults only, a 2% dilution (about 10 drops per ounce). For children over 6, I would add 3 drops of Marjoram oil for its expectorant properties. Marjoram should not be used on pregnant or breastfeeding mothers, or children under 6 years old. Others prefer not to use peppermint or Eucalyptus on their children until they are over two years old. Please do your own research and use oils which you are comfortable with.